Teach English in Colombia
Earn a gross monthly salary of 2.8 million COP, housing support, orientation on arrival, health insurance, paid vacation time, choose from fantastic locations!💚
Teaching in Colombia offers the opportunity to deliver English language training in a fun, friendly and safe environment. Support Colombian learners with their English education and provide valuable cultural exchange.
- 2.8 million Colombian Pesos COP gross monthly salary
- Guaranteed teaching schedule with a variety of shifts available
- Legal work permit
- Exciting nationwide locations
- Orientation and training
- Housing support from local engagement team
- Visa fee contribution after 6 months
- Paid leave
- 12 month contract (renewable)
- Local support team in Colombia
- Health insurance
*Average local salary in Colombia is around 640.000 COP and so you enjoy a comfortable standard of living on this salary.
Teaching jobs in Colombia - at a glance
- FTBS: Monday-Friday: from 10:00 am to 07:00 pm (with 1 hour for lunch) + *Saturdays from 08:00 am to 04:00 pm (with 40 minutes for lunch)
- FTM: Monday-Friday: from 05:50 am to 01:40 pm + *Saturdays from 08:00 am to 04:00 pm (with 40 minutes for lunch)
- FTA: Monday-Friday: from 01:30 pm to 09:20 pm + *Saturdays from 08:00 am to 04:00 pm (with 40 minutes for lunch)
* You only work every other Saturday
- Teachers typically work one Saturday every 15 days as well
Ongoing - start any time
Successful applicants will be shortlisted and contacted for web interview
Applicants should be fluent English speakers and have as follows:
- TEFL, TESOL or CELTA certification OR Bachelor's degree - not yet TEFL certified? Get a special discount on your TEFL course
- Strong communication, listening, and group management abilities
- Cultural sensitivity
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
Locations for teaching in Colombia
ESLstarter is hiring English Ambassadors for the following locations:
- Bogotá, Soacha, Mosquera, Medellín, Itagüi, Cali, Manizales and Villavicencio
About the English Ambassadors Program
Placements are available with established language schools throughout major urban centres in Colombia, including the busy capital of Bogota.
You will teach 6 students per class and your learners will need English for a variety of reasons, including work, academic and personal.
Ongoing staff training and meetings are provided, with an orientation offered on arrival.
Teach small classes of up to 6 students in Bogotá, Soacha, Mosquera, Medellín, Itagüi, Cali, Manizales and Villavicencio.
Why apply to teach in Colombia through ESLstarter?
- 100s of teacher testimonials
- Receive free expert consultation to decide if teaching in Colombia is right for you
- Over 18 years of hiring experience for international TEFL jobs
- Full support through the application and visa process
- Dedicated support staff comprising of former TEFL teachers
- Join our Facebook communities & connect with lots of other ESLstarter teachers before you go!
- Why teach English in Colombia?
Anyone interested in starting or developing their ESL teaching career overseas should take Colombia into consideration. The nation offers affordable travel and a sizable number of teaching positions. The government of Colombia also places a lot of emphasis on bilingual education, making Colombia a fantastic location for TEFL instructors.
- What is the typical salary for teaching jobs in Colombia?
The average monthly pay for an ESL instructor in Colombia is between $700 and $1,000 USD, depending on their position and level of experience. Jobs at private schools typically come with a housing allowance, travel expenses, health insurance, and other perks. It should be noted that a language school may offer a lesser salary without any of these extra benefits.
- What are some of the best things about living and teaching in Colombia?
Colombia is known as the land of magical realism, and its main city of Bogota has a diverse range of cuisine, art, and cultural offerings. You will be in awe of the street art and the amazing coffee! Colombia has the second-largest population of Spanish speakers in the world and is a very diversified nation. Now is the ideal time to visit Colombia and experience it for yourself because it is still a relatively unexplored country.
- Is Colombia an expensive country to live in?
One of the main benefits of teaching in Colombia is the low cost of living. Comparatively, the country offers many of the amenities and infrastructure found in more expensive parts of the world at a convenient and affordable rate. This means it is possible to enjoy a great local lifestyle and still save money as an English teacher in Colombia.