Costa Rica: TEFL Internship
We are looking for volunteers to join an exciting initiative of the Costa Rican Ministry of Education. Come explore this beautiful country and support social change in Costa Rica!
The Volunteer English Teaching Program in Costa Rica provides Native English teachers with the opportunity to participate and volunteer in a quality cultural exchange program in Costa Rica.
Learn to teach TEFL in Costa Rica through this exciting Ministry of Education initiative
Funded by the Costa Rican Government´s Department of Labor, this program sponsors young adults to receive English classes in their local community.
Come spend four months in Costa Rica! Gain a better understanding of the country's unique culture and immerse yourself in local life.
In order to receive classes, students must qualify for government assistance based on their current income and employment status; the students must be able to dedicate 30 hours per week for English classes.
The goal of the program is to improve the employability of these students so they can gain work at local businesses where a basic to intermediate level of English is required.
Participants will be asked to dedicate 40 hours per week to English lessons with two groups of students.
Volunteer in Costa Rica - what you receive
- Airport pick up from San Jose Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO)
- 4 day arrival orientation, including accommodation with host family
- Onward transport from San Jose to host town or city
- Private room accommodation with host family throughout the program
- Three meals daily provided by host family (breakfast, lunch & evening meal)
- Access to laundry service
- Support for obtaining Volunteer Visa to Costa Rica
- 24 hour support from local on-site program coordinators
- All teaching materials and course syllabus provided to you, meaning minimal prep time
- USD$ 500 flight bonus paid on completion of program - will be distributed via check one week prior to contract conclusion
Admission requirements for volunteer in Costa Rica program
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- TEFL / CELTA - can apply for this later if you don't already have
- teaching experience preferred
- community spirited and keen to inspire positive change
- clean and current criminal background check
- basic Spanish ability recommended
- 21 - 65 years old (due to visa requirements)
- Passport of UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, South Africa or Australia (due to visa requirements)
- Commitment to 4 month placement in Costa Rica
|Start Date||End Date|
|January 27th, 2019||May 25th, 2019|
|March 24th, 2019||July 20th, 2019|
|May 26th, 2019||September 21st, 2019|
|July 28th, 2019||November 23rd, 2019|
|September 22nd, 2019||January 18th, 2020|
How much will it cost?
As this program is run by an NGO, there is a small admin fee required in order to fund program organization and logistical costs.
- Option A one off £250 admin fee covering all arrangements and visa support.
- Option B a one off £399 admin fee covering the above and including a Level 5 CELTA equivalent 170 hour combined TEFL qualification with 20 hour Teaching Practicum to be completed in Costa Rica. You can use this TEFL certificate to teach in other countries on program completion.
Hear from a program volunteer in Costa Rica
Program participant Kelsey shares her experience of this ambitious government project.
The President of Costa Rica sets out his vision for this government initiative
Please note, some of this video is in Spanish.
- How many students will I have?
50 Students max. This is usually divided into a Group A and a Group B with twenty five in each.
- How many days per week would I teach?
You would typically teach only Monday through Thursday. Friday is a prep day for the next week's classes and there is no work at the weekends. Classes run from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM with a one hour lunch break.
- Do we have to plan all the lessons?
No, all curriculum is provided including books and materials. Teachers need to print off and prepare all the materials for the class prior, but the actual material is already decided on.
- Where will I be teaching?
You will be told of your location upon arrival to Costa Rica. In orientation, all of this information will be provided. We are currently placing teachers in several of the main provinces in Costa Rica including the Central and Pacific provinces.
- Where will I live?
You will live with a pre-approved host family in a private bedroom with access to a shared bathroom. Your host family will cook for you three meals per day and take care of your laundry 1 time per week. All of our host families have Wi-Fi.
- Will I be teaching with other teachers?
We typically have between 2 and 6 teachers per community. Each teacher has their own host family and classroom.
- Will I receive some sort of VISA?
Yes, upon turning in the required documents you will be able to apply for a Volunteer Visa allowing you to stay in the country for 4 months. All accepted volunteers will be required to present an apostilled background Check and apostilled birth certificate in order to apply for the Volunteer Visa.
- Will I get paid?
This is a volunteer position. In exchange for your time and dedication we will cover the cost of your room and board, airport pick up and drop off, housing during orientation, transportation to and from the teaching site.
- Where is the school located?
We are not a school but actually Non Governmental Organization that promotes Public Private Partnerships, including this partnership. This partnership´s goal is to train 1,000 Costa Rican in English so they can enter the labor market. Our offices are located in San Jose, Costa Rica but our teachers teach all over Costa Rica. The actual location of the classes depends on our partners in the local community. For example, some students receive their classes in a local Community Center, some in a private University who is a strong partner with the initiative.
- What will my classroom look like?
Classrooms have whiteboards, desks (or chairs and tables) and wifi for the professor.
- How do I get from my host family´s home to the teaching site?
Usually our volunteers are located within 30-40 minutes from their teaching site. Depending on the community, our teachers walk, ride a bike or ride local bus to get to their teaching site.