Hong Kong: Teach Small Classes
Now recruiting TEFL teachers for an established, extra curricular English school. Great benefits offered. Enjoy teaching in central Hong Kong!
If you have a positive attitude and enjoy working in a fast paced, communicative environment, this is the position for you!
Benefits for teaching English in Hong Kong
- HK$ 20,000 p / month (starting salary - approx £2,000 monthly)
- HK$ 12,000 - HK $ 14,000 completion gratuity bonus
- Option to take subsidised accommodation on Hong Kong island @ HK $7,000 p / month
- Work visa arranged
- Airport meet & greet
- Comprehensive training
- Ongoing professional development
- 17 days paid public holidays
- 14 - 16.5 days paid holidays
- Salary advances and in some cases help with *air-ticket to Hong Kong. YES! – You really can come out to Hong Kong with no more than £100 in your wallet!
* terms and conditions would apply
Teach Tefl in Hong Kong
- CAREER PROGRESSION OPPORTUNITIES - many teachers stay for longer than expected and go on to become senior teachers or part of the management team
- MENTORING SCHEME - your skill development is supported by pairing you up with a more experienced mentor teacher where required
- ACCOMMODATION SUPPORT - fully furnished accommodation on Hong Kong Island (only a few minutes walk from MRT station) is available if you want it (includes subsidised rent)
- SOCIAL LIFE - you will be immersed in a strong community of TEFL teachers and enjoy Christmas parties in Soho, nights at the famous Happy Valley races, BBQs, beach and hiking activities to name but a few!
English Teacher, Hong Kong Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in any field
- Nationality of UK, IRELAND, USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA (or native English speaking countries - due to visa restrictions)
- TEFL certificate (can also complete later if you don't have when you apply) - get a special discount on your TEFL course here
- Love working with young people
- Culturally adaptable and positive attitude
Additional job details
- The working week is Monday to Saturday
- 2 days you will work from 4 PM and finish at 7 PM
- 3 days would be 9:30 AM till 7 PM
- Saturday hours would be 9 AM - 6 PM with a 90 minute lunch break
- All schools closed on Sundays
- No evening teaching
Lessons are typically 90 minutes and the actual number of classes varies from centre to centre. You would not have lessons in all slots which will leave you some free time for planning or working on other projects.
When can I start?
There are arrivals every month with this program and so you can start any month of the year.
The usual application process takes around 1 month from point of application to arrival in Hong Kong.
Fast track visa applications are also an option if you would like to start immediately.
Miss Wilson, Teaching in Hong Kong
Moving to the other side of the world can be daunting to say the least, but with all of the support from Excel I found the entire process to be very relaxed and easy. Teaching at English Excel is a lot of fun. The way the class time is managed makes it easy to grasp and with planning time included in my working hours I find myself rarely thinking about work once I leave my centre for the day. The management team is incredibly friendly, kind and supportive.
Apply for this job as an English teacher in Hong Kong
- Register your interest via below link
- Initial call with Head Office
- Skype interview
- Receive offer / contract
- Prepare your visa
- Land in Hong Kong!
Please note, due to high volume of applications, only candidates who pass the initial screening will be contacted with next step information.
- How long has the school been operating?
This school is extremely well established and has been in operation for over 18 years. Unlike many providers in Hong Kong, the school is not a franchise business. The school is British owned and has teaching centres throughout the central Hong Kong district.
- Why do students choose this particular school?
Students enrol for a variety of reasons including to practice and improve general English, improve their confidence in spoken English, learn phonics, improve reading and writing, have fun and meet westerners amongst other things.
- What is the teaching methodology at the school?
The key methodology is full immersion and so students are encouraged to speak only English during class time. Classes are kept small (max. 4 students per class) in order to encourage a positive learning environment where students won't be afraid to speak up. As a result, you'll get to know your students well and form a strong bond with them.
- Is there a curriculum?
There is no set text book in place, instead you will plan and prepare lessons targeted to where you feel students need improvement. You will be provided with access to a wealth of teaching resources, divided into different levels and skill areas. The focus is also on creating an interactive learning environment - for example, teach English through cookery, crafts and outings!
- How long is the contract?
Contract duration is for a minimum of 12 - 14 months.
- Is Hong Kong expensive?
Hong Kong is surprisingly affordable and far cheaper than London and most UK towns. The average MTR fare is just HK$ 10 and Chinese style lunches are cheap and delicious! You can save money teaching in Hong Kong and pay off student loans.
- Am I eligible to apply?
In order to apply for this role, you would need to be a native English speaker due to visa restrictions. The school would accept UK, USA, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia passport holders. Also, passport holders of other native English speaking countries may apply. You would also need a bachelor degree and TEFL certificate.
- Why do teachers choose this school?
The school offers a great teaching and learning environment. You will be fully supported to ensure you feel comfortable before taking your own classes. There are some great opportunities for career advancement and promotion. Also, the school have been welcoming foreign teachers for over 15 years. This means a lot of the worry of moving to a new country is reduced as you can receive support with accommodation as soon as you arrive. There is also a full orientation and lots of social events with other teachers on the program.