Be an Au Pair in America
Live, work and travel in the USA as an au pair. Earn over $10,000 with roundtrip flights, accommodation, meals and host family matching all included! Live this classic USA experience.💚
Live with an American family, work and travel in the USA! Includes roundtrip airticket, over $10,000 in earnings for your year in the States along with meals, accommodation and J-1 Visa sponsorship.
Au Pair in the USA benefits
- Free round-trip air-ticket to the USA provided, connecting flights to your host family location also included
- Travel and accident insurance
- Au Pair Academy introduction to America and full childcare training provided
- Private bedroom in your host family accommodation
- Official J-1 Visa Sponsorship
- 30 days of additional travel time at the end of your program
- 1 1/2 days off per week
- 10 days of paid vacation during your year stay in the States
- $500 USD tuition contribution. Take a local college class and obtain 6 credits in whatever subject you are interested in
- Minimum $195.75 weekly stipend - adds up to over $10,000 throughout your year stay
- 24 / 7 emergency support
- Opportunity to extend your placement for a further 6, 9 or 12 months
About your role as an Au Pair in America
If you are looking to get some international childcare experience under your belt, this is the perfect program to combine work with travel. You'll experience all that the USA has to offer whilst being in a 'home away from home' environment with your American host family.
This program also brings over 300 au pairs to the States on a monthly basis so you'll be sure to meet lots of like-minded people who will be joining you for this incredible adventure!
Here is a look at some of your main duties as an au pair
- Share your culture
- Care for young children
- Get the children ready for school
- Help with homework
- Take the kids to school, pick them up from school or go on an outing together
- Keep the kids on track with their clean up duties
Plan your trip and costs
The au pair in the USA program offers amazing value at only £449.
This fee includes:
- Round-trip Air-fare
- Accommodation - private bedroom in your host family's house
- Meals with host family
- Training and orientation
- Connecting flight to your host family's location
- Access to online portal where host families and au pairs match
- Travel and medical insurance
- Education contribution of $500 towards a local course of your choice in the USA
- Visa application support, including provision of official J-1 Visa documentation
- Access to advice and support network
- SEVIS Visa fee
This fee does not include:
- Criminal record check £65
- Medical report, approximately £30 from your local doctor
- J1 Visa fee (payable to the US Embassy) £100
Skills and Qualities
There are some US Department of State requirements for the au pair USA program which are:
- Previous childcare experience (minimum 300 hours). Au pairs who would like to be matched with a family who has a child under the age of two must have at least 200 hours childcare experience with under two year olds (from the total of 300)
- English language fluency
- Be aged between 18 - 26 (required for J-1 visa application)
- Hold a valid driver's license
- Available for a 12 month placement
- Secondary (High School) education
- Be in good health
- No criminal record
- What does an au pair do?
Au pairs travel internationally to work in childcare. Au pairs typically provide live-in care for their host family's children. Participants are usually between 18 - 26 years old.
- Which countries do au pairs come from?
The au pair program is open to people of all nationalities. We are extremely proud to welcome au pairs from over 40 countries to our most recent cohort.
- Why au pair in America?
You will get to know America from a fresh, new perspective by living with a US host family. For most participants, it is this experience of living with a host family that creates such fantastic lifelong bonds and memories. Many au pairs choose to extend their program or return again to work with the same family. You'll also have 30 additional days on your visa for travelling in the States when your program completes.
- What help do ESLstarter provide?
We provide you with full support through the application process, including guidance on preparing your paperwork, navigating the family match portal and sending you your J-1 visa paperwork. We will also conduct your provisional interview and assist with flight booking.
- Can I still apply if I am 26 years old?
A Department of State requirement for the J-1 visa is that candidates must be no older than 26 when they arrive in the US. So, if you arrive in the US prior to your 27th birthday, you can participate or extend your program.
- Do I need a driver's license to become an au pair?
An international driver's license is required for this program. This is because you will most likely need to take children to school, the park or other places during your stay.
- Do I have any choice in choosing my host family?
It is very important that you feel comfortable and happy with your host family. So, you can continue to interview with potential host families until all parties are happy to proceed.
- Will I receive assistance with my US visa application?
Yes, you'll be working with an officially designated J-1 visa program (as designated by the US Department of State) and so will receive your J-1 visa documentation in the mail once your placement has been approved.
- Do I pay taxes as an au pair?
Yes, the US government requires au pairs pay taxes. You can visit the IRS website for more information.
- What is the educational requirement for this program?
Your host family will contribute $500 towards 6 hours of academic credit for you through a regulated post secondary institute in the US. So, you can combine work, travel and study during your time in the States.
- What is a host family like?
You can have peace of mind that host families are all carefully screened prior to joining this program. The emphasis is on providing positive cultural exchange for all parties involved. You will be warmly welcomed and will work only on child-related tasks during your time in the US. Host families and au pairs often stay in touch for many years after the placement ends so you will always have a home away from home in the USA!