Teach in Spain - Language Assistant
Gain work experience in Spain, teach English, learn Spanish. Apply Now!
About teaching in Spain
Are you thinking of enhancing your career overseas?
ESLstarter have partnered with a prestigious, professional and serious English program in Spain which cooperates with more than 200 official private schools all over the country.
This exciting Language Assistant program gives you the opportunity to:
- GAIN TEACHING EXPERIENCE as a language assistant with 20 hours per week of teaching
- TEACH IN SPAIN WITHOUT ANY PROGRAM FEES *
- RECEIVE PLENTY OF ON THE GROUND SUPPORT from an experienced local mentor
- LEARN ABOUT SPANISH CULTURE - as you teach English to local students
- EARN A MONTHLY ALLOWANCE OF 912 EUR - enough for a comfortable local lifestyle
* note on acceptance into the program, a EUR 850 security deposit is payable. Your program deposit payment demonstrates your commitment to joining the Language Assistant in Spain program. This commitment helps the local support staff to plan their resources and ensure you have the best possible experience when you arrive in Spain.
The deposit is fully refundable upon completion of contract. The deposit is non-refundable if the teacher decides to cancel or withdraw from the program at any time and for any reason.
We invite YOU to teach English in Spain!
Hear from previous program alumni.
Benefits of teaching in Spain
- Allowance of 912 EUR monthly - you can live comfortably in Spain on this amount
- Access to Spanish health care system
- 20 teaching hours per week allowing you plenty of time to explore Spain
- School holidays
- Health insurance (for EU citizens)
- 24/7 Support and feedback from your assigned tutor / mentor
- Accommodation * - full board with host family or independent / shared housing
* Note - the option to stay with a host family would mean accommodation / meals at no cost to you although you would be expected to commit to the program for 9 months if you take this option. If you opt for independent housing, support can be given with finding an apartment although you are responsible for rental costs. Many program participants often choose to share accommodation which can reduce costs significantly.
Melissa in Madrid
A little over 2 months ago, I took a giant leap of faith. I uprooted myself from my familiar, comfortable life in the United States to become a Language Assistant in Spain. I had almost no experience and absolutely zero expectations. I showed up to my first day of school with a completely open mind, prepared to take on whatever challenges my new work experience would bring!
Choose from homestay accommodation with a local Spanish family or rent your own private apartment.
If you choose the homestay option, rent and groceries are provided although of course you will be expected to pitch in with household chores. This is a popular program and so many teachers also rent privately and share with fellow participants.
Note - homestay accommodation requires a 9 month commitment.
Schedule, dates & regions
LA's would teach 20 hours per week.
You can teach for one semester with the option to extend.
Semester Option A
September through June (9 month program)
Semester Option B
January through June (6 month program)
Recruitment is ongoing and so you can apply anytime.
Locations are available throughout Spain.
Your teaching duties
- Deliver conversational English lessons during the requested weekly hours
- Encourage oral practice in English
- Explain the culture of your own country
- Help in other subjects such as science, art, music, drama or sport; act as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar
- Collaborate with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons
Requirements for TEFL jobs in Spain
- Bachelors degree in any field OR final year student
- Native level English speaker
- Happy to work with children
- Open minded and adaptable
- Recent graduate (within last four years) OR final year student
- No criminal record
5 reasons to teach in Spain
Find out why teaching in Spain might be a great fit for you!