Teach English in Hong Kong
Work with a diverse team, give back to the community and experience life in a vibrant city!
Teach English in Hong Kong - Start September 2018
The Chatteris Educational Foundation is a non-profit organisation that has been supporting local schools in Hong Kong since 1990. The organization aims to give all students an opportunity to learn English in a fun and interactive way, while promoting cultural exchange and developing young leaders with a global vision.
Why this program?
- Competitive, monthly salary of $15,000 HKD
- Fantastic immersive opportunity into a diverse and vibrant city
- Visa sponsorship
- School holidays + public holidays
- Orientation and setup support provided
- Group arrival and airport pick up
- Accommodation provided during orientation period
- Training provided, no TEFL required
- Help finding accommodation in Hong Kong
- In country academic support network
- Welfare and emergency support
- Free Cantonese tutorials
- Opportunities to work on a number of community projects
- Company clubs and activities
- Performance based, completion bonus
- Pre-departure support
Program duration and arrival date
- 9 month contract
- Orientation begins on Monday 13th August 2018
Throughout the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at schools and community projects.
Make a meaningful impact
This program is operated by a non-profit charitable organization.
The objective is to support students from less privileged backgrounds who would not normally have access to learning English with fluent speakers. This is a unique opportunity to make a highly positive contribution to the education of less privileged young learners in Hong Kong, helping them transform their lives.
Additionally, you will form lifelong friendships with a close-knit team of international participants working alongside you.
- A university degree (any discipline)
- High English proficiency with a clear accent
- Interest in working with children, teenagers or young adults
- Clean police record
- Proactive and creative nature
- Cultural sensitivity
Give back to local communities
The program’s vision is to provide quality English education for young people from less privileged backgrounds, to help develop their potential and to prepare them to succeed in life.
Community projects take on a strong focus and you can contribute in so many ways including storytelling in local libraries, working with young offenders, drama clubs, working with Special Education Needs students and much more.
You can experience living in one of Asia’s most exciting cities whilst also gaining professional development and giving back to local communities.
What’s not included for teaching in Hong Kong
- Participants must pay for own airfare (approx. HK$ 6,000)
- Accommodation costs are not included - flat share with other participants would be approx. HK$ 4,600, or studio approx. HK$ 6,000.
About Hong Kong
If you’re arriving to Hong Kong by plane – which you probably will be – the first surprise is the scale of the place. A wall of high-rises, tower blocks and skyscrapers tells you HK is a megacity. If you’re lucky to fly into Fragrant Bay by night, it’s a fantastic light show and that includes the thousands of twinkling lights from the boats in the bay.
One thing that makes HK so special is the amazing food. The choice of street food is awesome, and it’s everywhere. Wherever you look, night or day, people are eating in HK. A bowl of Beef brisket noodles is delicious, egg tart (made with duck eggs) is a staple here or, an HK special – French toast! Dishes like snake soup and chicken feet may seem too out there at first, but just wait, after a week or two you’ll love them.
Hong Kong has got a strong East-meets-West atmosphere and there’s a real buzz of youthful energy about the place. Everyone’s out there hustling it seems. Once you get used to the heat and humidity, HK is a thrilling place to live. The variety of shops is astonishing and there’s plenty to see and do at weekends. Temple Street Market is probably the liveliest night market in Hong Kong but you’ll find you can get a better deal in New Kowloon.
Everyone goes up Victoria Peak by tram at least once for the view over the city and bay, and Man Mo Temple is another popular spot, built by rich merchants during the Qing dynasty. A day at Happy Valley racecourse is another great day out and even if you don’t gamble, just come here to people-watch!
- 100s of teachers placed into East Asia teaching programs every year.
- We will not take any of your salary.
- Lots of recruitment experience to international public sector TEFL jobs.
- Our staff have taught English abroad and are passionate about helping others achieve this dream.
- Join our Facebook communities & connect with lots of other ESLstarter teachers before you go!
- We’re pretty sure you won’t find more teacher testimonials anywhere else!