Teach English in Hong Kong
Make a positive impact, develop transferable skills and experience life in one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities. Join this team of passionate English teachers!
Teach English in Hong Kong and inspire a young mind
We’re a non-profit organisation looking for enthusiastic and innovative English speakers from around the world to take up paid English teaching positions in Hong Kong. Our goal is to empower local students and break down the barriers caused by the English skills gap and we need your help.
Joining our team means that you’ll have an opportunity to directly contribute to the life and learning experience of Hong Kong students whilst being trained and supported by an experienced team. You’ll have a chance to develop new skills, experience a different culture and connect with a network of over 100 fellow tutors from around the world.
Operating through COVID-19
Despite the current global outbreak of COVID-19 the situation in Hong Kong continues to remain stable and has been reported globally as a region that is coping very well with the crisis, with schools expected to begin opening prior to the end of this current academic year. Learn more about the statistics behind Hong Kong’s pandemic response here.
Whilst we are monitoring and planning for different contingencies, including our tutors supporting students online at times, we are happy to report that we are fully able to continue our hiring process, and have a small number of paid positions left to fill for graduates interested in joining our dynamic 2020-21 international team for what will be a challenging but ultimately rewarding year.
Benefits for teaching in Hong Kong
- Sponsored work visa (we apply on your behalf)
- Group arrival and airport pick-up
- Orientation and settling in support
- Accommodation during orientation
- Financial and logistical help finding accommodation
- Training and feedback sessions provided throughout (no experience or teaching certificate required)
- Teaching resources provided
- Options for career progression
- Opportunities to work on a number of community projects outside of school
- Career mentorship, professional development workshops and networking events
- Pre-departure support
- An active social community
- Cantonese lessons and cultural workshops
- Welfare and emergency support
Dates and details
- Start date: Orientation begins each August
- Contract: Full-time, 9 months(options to extend)
- Salary: $16000 HKD per month
- Paid holidays: Christmas, Lunar New Year and Easter
- Working hours: 40 hours/week
Locations to teach in Hong Kong
Throughout the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at schools and community projects.
Requirements for teaching jobs in Hong Kong
- A university degree- any discipline
- High English proficiency- all nationalities welcome
- An interest in working with children, teenagers or young adults
- A proactive and creative nature
- Cultural sensitivity
About Hong Kong
Hong Kong has got a strong East-meets-West atmosphere and there’s a real buzz of youthful energy about the place. Everyone always seems to be hustling and there is never a shortage of things to do at the weekend.
Have a stroll through Temple Street Night Market or visit historical sites like Man Mo Temple and the Canton Railway Clock Tower. Take advantage of one of the many happy hour deals or spend the day people watching at Happy Valley racecourse. There is something for everyone.
One thing that makes HK really special is all the amazing food. Street food is everywhere you look and all-inclusive brunches are a favourite for catching up with friends. Try abowl of beef brisket noodles, snack on an egg tart as you take in the sights and you can’t forget this HK special – egg waffles and ice cream! Dishes like snake soup and chicken feet may seem too out there at first, but just wait, after a week or two you’ll love them.
- 100s of teachers placed into East Asia teaching programs every year.
- We will not take any of your salary.
- Lots of recruitment experience to international public sector TEFL jobs.
- Our staff have taught English abroad and are passionate about helping others achieve this dream.
- Join our Facebook communities & connect with lots of other ESLstarter teachers before you go!
- We’re pretty sure you won’t find more teacher testimonials anywhere else!